Here’s a look at some of the biggest announcements from Apple so far this year.
- iOS 7 – Not a lot of people get excited about the release of a new operating system update, but they should be! When it comes to making your mobile phone more reliable and useful, a lot of the work these days is being done on the software layer – and iOS is great in a lot of ways.
- iTunes Radio – Streaming music has been around a while online, but leave it to Apple to shake up the market when they enter it. With iTunes Radio, they’re taking a leap forward into the wonderful world of streaming music. From initial thoughts, they seem to know what they’re doing.
- Mac Pro – A new Mac computer is a beautiful thing. The new Mac Pro is no different. While pricy, most say it’s more than worth the number. Outside and inside, the machine is a beautiful example of engineering. Other computer manufacturers really need to start emulating Apple more on this front.
- Mac OS X Mavericks – Apple also came out with a new version of their desktop operating system. The new version of OS X is being given away as a free upgrade. Doing this has caused Microsoft to also release Windows 8.1 as a free update – a big change for them. Good for Apple!
- MacBook Air – Apple also unveiled a new laptop this year. Battery life is almost doubling from 5 hours to a whopping 9 hours on some versions of the machine. And when it comes to design, Apple knows what they’re doing. This is a beautifully designed machine. It’s more expensive, but those with the money are going to love this new laptop from Apple.
- iWork – Last but not least, Apple unveiled iWork. Available from the iCloud, this is a clone of Google Docs and other online tools for word processing. Even the early version looks really slick and has a lot of people excited about what’s coming up with Apple in this arena.
It would be nice if Apple stopped sticking an “i” in front of all their product names. While it was cute when it was first used and it’s part of their brand, it’s something they should think about dropping. If you disagree with this, leave a comment below and let us know what you think about Apple’s naming conventions. Here’s an iThanks!
About the author: Sheila Kurdinger shops online at 001 flower flower quite often because they have such a great selection. When she’s not ordering bouquets of flowers online, she’s usually online looking up all the latest gadgets and their colorful infographics being released – especially ones from Apple.
Photo by Nicole Kasper / Flickr